Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
May 01, 2014"A lot of NBA players come here to party. Out of respect to them, we have banned Sterling from coming here."
– Dennis Hof, owner of the Bunny Ranch and six other Nevada brothels
April 30, 2014"The only reason he's in trouble right now is he did not give enough money to Obama."
– Rush Limbaugh on Clippers owner Donald Sterling
April 29, 2014"The gates of success swing open for hypocrites, chameleons, bullies, and yes-men."
– NRA ad, on the world
April 28, 2014"Waterboarding is how we baptize terrorists."
– Sarah Palin
April 24, 2014"I don't recognize the United States government as even existing."
– Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy
April 23, 2014"Senator Hagan says we got to have a nice debate and discussion about what to do [in the wake of Sandy Hook]. See, that's called a democracy, which is actually socialism, which is called majority rules."
– NC Senate candidate Greg Brannon
April 21, 2014"This is nonsense. There are no Russian troops in the east of Ukraine."
– Vladimir Putin
April 18, 2014"I would much rather have -- and I will say this to anybody's face -- somebody who drank and drank too much taking care of my child than I had somebody whose lifestyle is questionable around children. Because that ain't the damn way it's supposed to be...I'm not going to let two women stand up there and hold hands and let my child be aware of it."
– Mayor Earl Bullard of Latta, South Carolina, on firing longtime police chief Crystal Moore, who is a lesbian
April 17, 2014"Suppose the pay gap between men and women were magically eliminated. If that happened, simple arithmetic suggests that half of women would be unable to find what they regard as a suitable mate."
– Phyllis Schlafly
April 16, 2014"Absolutely, the whole world would...Hitler would have created a paradise on Earth, particularly for white people. But he would have been fair to other people as well."
– Frazier Glenn Miller, suspected of killing three people at a Jewish community center and a Jewish retirement center on Sunday, when asked during his 2010 U.S. Senate campaign if the country would be better off if Hitler had succeeded