Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
February 02, 2018"We can't have someone in the Oval Office who doesn't understand the meaning of the word 'confidential,' or 'classified.'"
– Trump during campaign, on Clinton
February 01, 2018"Consider checking the identification of all attending the State of the Union and arresting any illegal aliens in attendance."-- Rep. Paul Gosar"What's wrong with you?"-- Rep. Joe Crowley"
January 31, 2018"...I'm not answering."
– House Intelligence Committee chairman Devin Nunes, asked by fellow committee member Mike Quigley if he had coordinated with the White House on the surveillance memo alleging abuses by the FBI and Justice Department
January 30, 2018"The only thing the president has applied pressure to is to make sure we get this resolved so you guys and everyone else can focus on the things that Americans actually care about. And that is making sure everybody gets the Russia fever out of their system once and for all; that you're all reminded once again there was no collusion; and that we can move forward to focus on things like national security, the economy, and solving the immigration crisis that we have here in our country."
– Sarah Huckabee Sanders, on critics' assertion that the White House and the president have been applying pressure on the FBI and Justice Department for months
January 28, 2018"The ice caps were going to melt. They were going to be gone by now. But now they're setting records. They're at a record level."
January 27, 2018"I have to admit that I don't know my Twitter account log-on and password, so certainly that's one of the changes I've made."
– Hawaii Governor David Ige on why it took so long to tell citizens that the nuke attack message was inaccurate
January 26, 2018"I know no Russians. I don't know nothin' about nothin'. I'm not being a witness. I'm not hiring a lawyer."
– Steve Bannon to Michael Wolff before 'Fire and Fury' came out; he was subpoenaed by the FBI four days after publication
January 25, 2018"There's no collusion. I couldn't have cared less about Russians having to do with my campaign."
January 24, 2018"Does the applicant speak English? Can they support themselves and their families financially? Do they have a skill that will add to the U.S. economy?"-- WH adviser Stephen Miller, whose grandmother arrived in the U.S. in the early 1900s speaking only Yiddish, according to the Resistance Genealogy project"We can't restore our civilization with somebody else's babies."-- Rep. Steve King, whose grandmother arrived from Germany at the age of four"So Dan, let's say Victor Scavino arrives from Canelli, Italy, in 1904, then brother Hector in 1905, brother Gildo in 1912, sister Esther in 1913, and sister Clotilde and their father Giuseppe in 1916, and they live together in New York. Do you think that would count as chain migration?"-- #ResistanceGenealogy founder Jennifer Mendelsohn to chain migration foe and WH director of social media Dan Scavino"
January 23, 2018"I'm going to do very restrained, if I use it at all."
– Trump in November 2016, on using Twitter as president