Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
January 03, 2012"I think Tuesday night people are going to see a miracle."
– Michele Bachmann
December 31, 2011"I can't do modern politics."
– Newt Gingrich
December 30, 2011"I want the full portrait of evolution and the people who came up with the ideas to be presented. It's a worldview and it's godless. Atheism has been tried in various societies, and they've been pretty criminal domestically and internationally. The Soviet Union, Cuba, the Nazis, China today: they don't respect human rights...Columbine, remember that? They were believers in evolution. That's evidence right there."
– NH state Rep. Jerry Bergevin, on his bill requiring schools to include evolution scientists' positions on atheism
December 28, 2011"Every barrel of oil that comes out of those sands in Canada is a barrel of oil that we don't have to buy from a foreign source."
– Gov. Rick Perry
December 26, 2011"How long do you think Sean Hannity's show would last if four times in one sentence, he made a comment about, say, the President of the United States, and said that he looked like a skinny, ghetto crackhead? Which, by the way, you might want to say that Barack Obama does."
– pundit Brent Bozell, criticizing Chris Matthews' characterization of Newt Gingrich as looking "like a car bomber"
December 24, 2011"What I can promise you is this -- when you get out of college, if I'm president you'll have a job. If President Obama is reelected, you will not be able to get a job."
– Mitt Romney to a New Hampshire college student
December 23, 2011"I used to be homophobic, but that's fucked up. I had to look in the mirror and say, 'All the designers I'm wearing are gay.'"
– rapper A$AP Rocky
December 22, 2011"She lectures us on eating right, while she has a large posterior herself."
– Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner on Michelle Obama
December 21, 2011"We don't go after anybody. Actually, they go after me. They're demonstrating in front of my building, calling me every kind of name. If you want to talk about civil-rights violations, what about that?"
– Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio, accused by the Justice Department of systemic discrimination against Latinos, including "unlawful stops, detentions, and arrests"
December 20, 2011"Proudly, Nancy and Ronnie Reagan are the closest analogy that I know of in terms of how we work together and try to do things together."
– Newt Gingrich on his marriage to Callista