Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
July 25, 2011"As a kid, all I thought about was death. But you can't tell your parents that."
– Maurice Sendak
July 22, 2011"I think of it as bling for the yard."
– Kristi Schiller, on the $50,000 playhouse she and her oil executive husband had custom-built for their 4-year-old"Adorable and worth every penny."
– Retired defense contractor Dan Burnham, on the $248,000 playhouse he bought for his grandkids
July 21, 2011"In the end, 'Potter' may go down as the most sexist story ever told."
– Andrea Peyser
July 19, 2011"I'm getting more and more comfortable every day that this is what I've been called to do. This is what America needs."
– Texas Governor Rick Perry, on why he may run for president"I think it's time for us to just hand it over to God and say, 'God, you're going to have to fix this.'"
– Texas Governor Rick Perry
July 17, 2011"She's got a good family, she's got a good husband, she's got God on her side, and I think people are envious of that. They're envious that she carries herself so well, that she's smart."
– Bristol Palin on her mother's critics
July 13, 2011"It's a very sad life. It's part of Satan, I think, to say this is 'gay.' It's anything but gay."
– Michele Bachmann on homosexuality, in a 2004 lecture
July 11, 2011"I'd rather smoke crack than eat cheese from a can."
– Gwyneth Paltrow
July 08, 2011"We raised the debt ceiling seven times during the Bush Administration...We had debt at 120 percent of the GDP, far higher than this, after World War II and no one went around threatening that we're going to ruin the credit of the United States..."
– Warren Buffett
July 07, 2011"I often think there should exist a special typographical sign for a smile -- some sort of concave mark, a supine round bracket..."
– Vladimir Nabokov, imagining the emoticon in 1969
July 06, 2011"At the heart of liberalism, really, is a hatred for God and a belief that government should replace God."
– Missouri Rep. Todd Akin, running for the U.S. Senate