Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
October 29, 2013"The fact is, the NSA has done more to save German lives than the German army since World War II."
– Rep. Peter King
October 28, 2013"One chord is fine. Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz."
– Lou Reed
October 24, 2013"I have dealt with people who are deaf and you rebuke the spirit of deafness and they get healed. I don't know what you're doing wrong. Why don't you try that and if it doesn't work, try something else."
– Pat Robertson, to a woman who asked why her son's hearing had not been repaired by her prayers
October 23, 2013"We believe we did it for the right reasons. We believe it was good policy."
– Rep. Rick Mulvaney on the shutdown
October 22, 2013"I don't feel the county should be looking for new ways to give away taxpayer money. Next it could be giving money out to people's pets or whatever."
– Tom Creighton, a PA county commissioner, explaining his opposition to benefits for same-sex couples
October 21, 2013"The only reason we went into Iraq, I tell people now, is we were looking for somebody's ass to kick. Afghanistan was too easy."
– a senior Bush official, in Days of Fire: Bush and Cheney in the White House
October 19, 2013"Management."
– how Karl Rove referred to Dick Cheney during the Bush presidency -- as in "Better check with Management."
October 18, 2013"The vast majority of people see Obama and the Democrats as unwilling to compromise...I actually think right now that it's the Democrats who are seen pushing Granny over the cliff."
– Rush Limbaugh
October 17, 2013"I want to punish these people. Sorry to say that, but that's what I want to do."
– Fox Business host Stuart Varney, on federal employees seeking back pay for time furloughed
October 16, 2013"This party is going nuts. So many people I run into who are normal people -- and I hate to use that term -- they just can't understand what's going on."
– Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.)