Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
February 24, 2015"President Obama didn't live through September 11 -- I did."
– Rudy Giuliani
February 21, 2015"I hear the news commentators say: 'Why is Obama doing this?...Why is he aiding and abetting ISIS?' And I'm like, because he's one of them. It's so obvious...He's an Islamic jihadist."
– Tea Party activist and former SNL cast member Victoria Jackson
February 20, 2015"I don't believe that the president loves America. He doesn't love you. He doesn't love me."
– former NYC mayor Rudy Giuliani, at a dinner featuring WI Gov. Scott Walker
February 19, 2015"Yazidi women and children [are to be] divided according to the Sharia amongst the fighters of the Islamic State who participated in the Sinjar operations [in northern Iraq]... Enslaving the families of the [infidels] and taking their women as concubines is a firmly established aspect of the Sharia that if one were to deny or mock, he would be denying or mocking the verses of the Koran and the narrations of the Prophet...and thereby apostatizing from Islam."
– conclusion of ISIS study group considering the question of whether Iraq's Yazidis should be put to death or enslaved
February 18, 2015"We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market."
– chief ISIS spokesperson Sheikh Abu Muhammad al-Adnani
February 16, 2015"A recent Bankrate poll found that almost two-thirds of Americans didn't have savings available to cover a $500 repair bill or a $1,000 emergency room visit."
– Paul Buchheit, in "New Evidence That Half of America is Broke"
February 13, 2015"Did they only come for lice and petloleum?"
– Argentine president Cristina Kirchner, tweeting about investment meeting with China's president and business leaders
February 12, 2015"Friends, this is a very important post I respectfully ask you to read through. Forgive its length. May it help you nail the coffin that's given shelter to a corrupt press that would stop at nothing in their fight against right."
– Sarah Palin blog post on Brian Williams
February 10, 2015"Williams: "I guess I do say to myself and others, 'I've got this!' And I don't know where that unbridled confidence comes from. And I've done some ridiculously stupid things under that banner, like being in a helicopter I had no business being in in Iraq with rounds coming into the airframe."Baldwin: "Did you think you were going to die?"Williams: "Briefly, sure." "
– Brian Williams, interviewed by Alec Baldwin, March 4, 2013
February 09, 2015"I was remembering something I tend to forget: the war with Hezbollah in Israel a few years back where there were Katyusha rockets passing just underneath the helicopter i was riding in. A few years before that, you go back to Iraq, and I looked down the tube of an RPG that had been fired at us and had hit the chopper in front of ours. And I'm so fortunate to be sitting here."
– Brian Williams, in a 2007 interview