Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
July 25, 2016"I appreciate [Tim Kaine] having multi-cultural and speaking Spanish...but what Mr. Trump did, he spoke in a language that all Americans can understand. That is English...I didn't have to get a translator for anything that was going on at the RNC this week. And I'm hoping I'm not going to have to start brushing back up on my Dora the Explorer to understand some of the speeches this week."
– CNN commentator Scottie Nell Hughes on Kaine saying to a crowd, in Spanish, "Welcome to everyone in our country, because we are all Americans"
July 23, 2016"This was probably one of the most peaceful, most beautiful, most love-filled conventions in the history of conventions."
– Donald Trump
July 22, 2016"I alone can fix it."
– Donald Trump on the American system, which is "rigged"
July 20, 2016"You are not known to be a humble man."-- Lesley Stahl"I think I am actually humble. I think I'm much more humble than you would understand."-- Donald Trump"
July 19, 2016"To think that [Melania Trump] would be cribbing Michelle Obama's words is crazy...This is once again an example of when a woman threatens Hillary Clinton, how she seeks out to demean her and take her down." "
– Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort
July 18, 2016"America is at a point right now of almost anarchy."
– Rudy Giuliani
July 17, 2016"You Can't Always Get What You Want."
– Rolling Stones song playing over loudspeakers before Trump began the press conference to announce his running mate
July 16, 2016"We should frankly test every person here who is of a Muslim background, and if they believe in Sharia, they should be deported...Anybody who goes on a website favoring ISIS, or al Qaeda, or other terrorist groups, that should be a felony, and they should go to jail...Monitor the mosques. If you're not prepared to monitor the mosques, this whole thing is a joke."
– Newt Gingrich
July 15, 2016"It's a little difficult because of where she is...because of, you know, it's a long ways away."
– Donald Trump on why Sarah Palin won't be attending the GOP convention
July 14, 2016" "I would rather attend the public hanging of a good friend."
– GOP digital strategist Will Ritter, on skipping the party's convention