Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
January 29, 2014"I verbally took the reporter to task and told him off, because I expect a certain level of professionalism and respect..."
– Rep. Michael Grimm, on why he told a reporter trying to ask, in a post-SOTU interview, about alleged campaign finance irregularities: "You ever do that to me again I'll throw you off this f***ing balcony...I'll break you in half. Like a boy."
January 28, 2014"I would call attention to the parallels of fascist Nazi Germany to its war on its 'one percent,' namely its Jews, to the progressive war on the American one percent, namely the 'rich.'...Kristallnacht was unthinkable in 1930; is its descendant 'progressive' radicalism unthinkable now?"
– venture capitalist Tom Perkins
January 26, 2014"Our ties could not be deeper, and our job is to deepen them."
– NYC Mayor Bill De Blasio on the U.S. and Israel
January 24, 2014"If the Democrats want to insult the women of America by making them believe that they are helpless without Uncle Sugar coming in and providing them a prescription each month for birth control because they cannot control their libido or their reproductive system without the help of the government, then so be it."
– Mike Huckabee
January 23, 2014"It's fantastic. This is a great thing because it inspires everbody, gets them motivation to look up to the one percent and say, 'I want to become one of those people. I'm going to fight hard to get up to the top.'...Of course I'm going to applaud it. What can be wrong with this?"
– Canadian entrepreneur Kevin O'Leary on report that 85 people are collectively worth as much as half the world's population
January 22, 2014"I wish I could go back and be more uniting in my language. Because I think I played a role, unfortunately, in helping tear the country apart."
– Glenn Beck on his years with Fox
January 21, 2014"They were helpless before their government just as we are helpless before our government."
– VA state Sen. Richard H. Black on why the German people didn't stop the Holocaust
January 20, 2014"Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. No, no, no."
– Mitt Romney, on the idea of running for president again
January 17, 2014"The Supreme Court has said they didn't see any biological evidence to support marriage being between a man and a woman. They need some basic plumbing lessons."
– Rep. Louie Gohmert
January 16, 2014"Every Republican who has entered the fray defending Christie has to put a caveat out there -- 'if he's telling the truth.' Now, if there were a fervent ideological foundation, if there was a substantive reason of believing in Governor Christie, then whether he lied wouldn't matter. They'd be out there defending him left and right just to make sure the Democrats don't get away with this."
– Rush Limbaugh