Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
December 31, 2013"I don't know. It's a question I've never even thought about."
– abortion foe Ohio state Sen. Jim Buchy, asked by a reporter, "What do you think makes a woman want to have an abortion?"
December 30, 2013"I think it was absolutely a mistake for President Obama and Harry Reid to force a government shutdown."
– Sen. Ted Cruz
December 26, 2013"With regard to the picture, 'It's a Wonderful Life,' xxxx stated in substance that the film represented a rather obvious attempt to discredit bankers by casting Lionel Barrymore as a 'Scrooge-type' so that he would be the most hated man in the picture. This, according to these sources, is a common trick used by Communists."
– from 1947 FBI report, "Communist Infiltration of the Motion Picture Industry"
December 24, 2013"The right to celebrate Christmas is under attack."
– Fox Nation
December 23, 2013"In December 1955, Rosa Parks took a stand against an unjust societal persecution of black people, and in December 2013, [Duck Dynasty star Phil] Robertson took a stand against persecution of Christians. What Parks did was courageous. What Mr. Robertson did was courageous too."
– Illinois congressional candidate Ian Bayne
December 20, 2013"We're going to be the Miley Cyrus of nations next year. Unstoppable, but kind of embarrassing."
– David Brooks
December 18, 2013"Socialism makes me sick."
– slogan on the "Official Obama Barf Bag" offered by Rep. Steve Stockman, fundraising for his Senate campaign
December 16, 2013"Justice Roberts' pen and Obamacare have done more damage to the USA than the swords of the Nazis, Soviets and terrorists combined."
– NC state Sen. Rob Rucho, sponsor of a bill to prevent his state from setting up a health insurance exchange or participating in Medicaid expansion
December 15, 2013"I think that we should proceed with sanctions so that the Iranians know that this is not an American deal with them...This is a Kerry-Obama deal with them and that the rest of Congress is not behind them."
– Rep. Duncan Hunter, House Armed Services Committee member
December 14, 2013"When you allow people to be on unemployment insurance for 99 weeks, you're causing them to become part of this perpetual unemployed group in our economy."
– Sen. Rand Paul