Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
January 10, 2014"I am not a bully."
– Governor Chris Christie
January 09, 2014"[Liberals are] relying on their total dominance of the media to lie to you each and every day about climate change and global warming. So they created the 'polar vortex'...They just created it for this week...Sounds like a crappy science fiction movie to me."-- Rush Limbaugh"It's Meteorology 101...For all the doubters out there; stuff it!"-- NBC weatherman Al Roker, displaying the polar vortex entry in his 1959 textbook"
January 08, 2014"If you agree to have sex with me whenever I want."-- Roger Ailes, offering an extra $100 per week to producer Randi Harrison, according to new Ailes bio"The book was never fact-checked with Fox News."-- Fox News spokeswoman"
January 07, 2014"Who didn't want him dead?"
– NY Post front page headline about a murdered Hasidic Jewish "slumlord" whose burned body was found in a dumpster
January 06, 2014"At the moment, there is no presence of the Iraqi state in Fallujah. The police and the army have abandoned the city, al-Qaeda has taken down all the Iraqi flags and burned them, and it has raised its own flag on all the buildings."
– an anonymous Iraqi journalist, quoted in Business Insider story
January 03, 2014"I've been the best mayor that this city's ever had. My record speaks for itself."
– Toronto mayor Rob Ford, seeking re-election
January 02, 2014"God created humans pretty much in their present form at one time in the last 10,000 years or so."
– assertion agreed with by 46% of Americans, according to a recent Gallup poll
December 31, 2013"I don't know. It's a question I've never even thought about."
– abortion foe Ohio state Sen. Jim Buchy, asked by a reporter, "What do you think makes a woman want to have an abortion?"
December 30, 2013"I think it was absolutely a mistake for President Obama and Harry Reid to force a government shutdown."
– Sen. Ted Cruz
December 26, 2013"With regard to the picture, 'It's a Wonderful Life,' xxxx stated in substance that the film represented a rather obvious attempt to discredit bankers by casting Lionel Barrymore as a 'Scrooge-type' so that he would be the most hated man in the picture. This, according to these sources, is a common trick used by Communists."
– from 1947 FBI report, "Communist Infiltration of the Motion Picture Industry"