Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
April 04, 2012"I think it's seven or eight of the California system of universities don't even teach an American history course. It's not even available to be taught."
– Rick Santorum, trash-talking a state whose public higher education system includes ten UC campuses, 23 California State University campuses and 112 community colleges, all of which (except the UCSF Med Center) offer American history courses
April 03, 2012"Baltimore radio interviewer:"One of the things, Ann Romney, that folks talk about with your husband, Mitt Romney...Sometimes he comes off stiff..."Ann Romney:"Well, you know, I guess we better unzip him and let the real Mitt Romney out, because he's not!"
April 02, 2012"There is nothing wrong with asking the president of the United States for his birth certificate. I am tired of being called a racist."
– Missouri state Rep. Wanda Brown, defending bill which would require birth certificates to appear on the ballot for presidential and vice-presidential candidates
March 29, 2012"You can not rehabilitate the hoodie."
– Geraldo Rivera
March 28, 2012"Members need to remove their hoods or leave the floor."
– Rep. Gregg Harper, presiding in the House, just before declaring Rep. Bobby Rush out of order for his hoodied protest against racial profiling
March 27, 2012"One of the great blessings I've had in every political campaign is people underestimate me. They underestimate what God can do."
– Rick Santorum
March 26, 2012"Trudeau's attack is another sad example of the desperate, cold hearted, ill-formed, radical leftist elites in our country. No clear thinking intelligent person should be against our bill, not even a pro-abortion advocate."
– State Senator Dan Patrick, sponsor of the Texas mandatory sonogram bill
March 25, 2012"Even president Bill Clinton says in the [Dem campaign] film,'That's the call I would have made.'"
– Karl Rove, downplaying Obama's decision to go in after Osama bin Laden"He took the harder and the more honorable path. When I saw what had happened, I thought to myself, 'I hope that's the call I would have made.'"
– what Clinton actually said in the film
March 22, 2012"I would hope that when a woman goes in to a physician with a rape issue, that physician will indeed ask her about perhaps her marriage, was this pregnancy caused by normal relations in a marriage or was it truly caused by a rape."
– State Senator Chuck Winder, sponsor of Idaho's mandatory ultrasound bill
March 21, 2012"Well, I think you hit a reset button for the fall campaign. Everything changes. It's almost like an Etch a Sketch. You can kind of shake it up and we start all over again."
– Romney adviser Eric Fehrnstrom, asked if Romney tacking to the right in the primaries might hurt him in the general election