Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
September 02, 2013"Hello to all of you here in the studio, watching from home, or reading my prompter at the NSA. Spoiler alert, guys -- this is the next sentence."
– Stephen Colbert
August 29, 2013"They asked a long list of Republicans to come and to a man and woman they said 'no.'"
– Julian Bond on Wednesday's ceremony marking the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
August 28, 2013"The homosexual community has put these draconian laws on the books that prohibit people from discussing this particular affliction. You can tell somebody you had a heart attack, you can tell them they've got high blood pressure, but you can't tell anybody you've got AIDS."
– Pat Robertson
August 27, 2013"If I'd had the foresight to make it one of my life's aspirations, I'd have done so. Instead it lands as dumb luck....It puts me with John Cleese, the first person to say 's***' on the BBC."
– Jonathan Lethem on supplying the first "f***" ever printed in the New York Times
August 25, 2013"Those of you in the media and politics who fed this hysteria need to look at what you helped create. Because you have unleashed a monster."
– Bob Filner, resigning as mayor of San Diego in the wake of 18 allegations of sexual harassment
August 24, 2013"In that paper of Aug. 29, 1963, The Post published two dozen stories about the march. Every one missed the importance of King's address. The words 'I have a dream' appeared in only one, a wrap-up of the day's rhetoric on Page A15 -- in the fifth paragraph."
– former managing editor Robert G. Kaiser, in an Op Ed about the WaPo blowing its coverage of the March on Washington
August 22, 2013"After I did the Vivid photo shoot a couple weeks ago, people already thought I made a porno, so it was like, 'Eh, they think I did, I might as well.'"
– Anthony Weiner sexting partner Sydney Leathers, on why she made a porn film
August 21, 2013"As many as 50,000 stray dogs roam the streets and vacant homes of bankrupt Detroit."
– -- Bloomberg News
August 19, 2013"I can't wait to write a defense of the drone strike that takes out Julian Assange."
– Time reporter Michael Grunwald, in a tweet
August 16, 2013"I will bet you, for most of you, you go home in the next two weeks when your members of Congress are home, and you look them in the eye and you say, 'What is your positive replacement for Obamacare?' They will have zero answer."
– Newt Gingrich to Republican National Committee meeting