Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
March 25, 2012"Even president Bill Clinton says in the [Dem campaign] film,'That's the call I would have made.'"
– Karl Rove, downplaying Obama's decision to go in after Osama bin Laden"He took the harder and the more honorable path. When I saw what had happened, I thought to myself, 'I hope that's the call I would have made.'"
– what Clinton actually said in the film
March 22, 2012"I would hope that when a woman goes in to a physician with a rape issue, that physician will indeed ask her about perhaps her marriage, was this pregnancy caused by normal relations in a marriage or was it truly caused by a rape."
– State Senator Chuck Winder, sponsor of Idaho's mandatory ultrasound bill
March 21, 2012"Well, I think you hit a reset button for the fall campaign. Everything changes. It's almost like an Etch a Sketch. You can kind of shake it up and we start all over again."
– Romney adviser Eric Fehrnstrom, asked if Romney tacking to the right in the primaries might hurt him in the general election
March 20, 2012"I know that you have to shelter under the cross to have any hope of having a full life."
– Newt Gingrich
March 18, 2012"Obama is the head of infidelity and killing him automatically will make Biden take over the presidency. Biden is totally unprepared for that post, which will lead the U.S. into a crisis."
– Osama bin Laden, in a memo directing al-Qaeda to assassinate Obama
March 17, 2012"You can't make anybody watch, okay? Because you just have to close your eyes."
– PA Gov. Tom Corbett, defending bill that requires a doctor to perform an ultrasound with the screen turned towards the patient's face, then present her with two signed copies of the ultrasound image before she can receive an abortion
March 16, 2012"I don't take credit for it. It's God's hands."
– Texas State Sen. Dan Patrick, describing the sonogram bill he authored
March 15, 2012"The decision to end a life is not funny. There is nothing comic about this tasteless interpretation of legislation we have passed in Texas to ensure that women have all the facts when making a life-ending decision."
– Gov. Rick Perry spokeswoman Catherine Frazier, commenting on this week's strips
March 14, 2012"Planned Parenthood -- we're going to get rid of that."
– Mitt Romney
March 13, 2012"For many that are dealing with this issue...the concept of 'choice' can really be a fallacy. Because you can't make the right choice without knowing the true impact of what you're deciding."
– Gov. Rick Perry, on signing House Bill 15 in Texas