Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
January 07, 2014"Who didn't want him dead?"
– NY Post front page headline about a murdered Hasidic Jewish "slumlord" whose burned body was found in a dumpster
January 06, 2014"At the moment, there is no presence of the Iraqi state in Fallujah. The police and the army have abandoned the city, al-Qaeda has taken down all the Iraqi flags and burned them, and it has raised its own flag on all the buildings."
– an anonymous Iraqi journalist, quoted in Business Insider story
January 03, 2014"I've been the best mayor that this city's ever had. My record speaks for itself."
– Toronto mayor Rob Ford, seeking re-election
January 02, 2014"God created humans pretty much in their present form at one time in the last 10,000 years or so."
– assertion agreed with by 46% of Americans, according to a recent Gallup poll
December 31, 2013"I don't know. It's a question I've never even thought about."
– abortion foe Ohio state Sen. Jim Buchy, asked by a reporter, "What do you think makes a woman want to have an abortion?"
December 30, 2013"I think it was absolutely a mistake for President Obama and Harry Reid to force a government shutdown."
– Sen. Ted Cruz
December 26, 2013"With regard to the picture, 'It's a Wonderful Life,' xxxx stated in substance that the film represented a rather obvious attempt to discredit bankers by casting Lionel Barrymore as a 'Scrooge-type' so that he would be the most hated man in the picture. This, according to these sources, is a common trick used by Communists."
– from 1947 FBI report, "Communist Infiltration of the Motion Picture Industry"
December 24, 2013"The right to celebrate Christmas is under attack."
– Fox Nation
December 23, 2013"In December 1955, Rosa Parks took a stand against an unjust societal persecution of black people, and in December 2013, [Duck Dynasty star Phil] Robertson took a stand against persecution of Christians. What Parks did was courageous. What Mr. Robertson did was courageous too."
– Illinois congressional candidate Ian Bayne
December 20, 2013"We're going to be the Miley Cyrus of nations next year. Unstoppable, but kind of embarrassing."
– David Brooks