Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
February 11, 2014"Marijuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing."-- Federal Bureau of Narcotics chief Harry J. Anslinger, 1948"It really puzzles me to see marijuana connected with narcotics...dope and all that crap. It's a thousand times better than whiskey -- it's an assistant, a friend."-- Louis Armstrong"
February 10, 2014"The Bible...makes it plain that dinosaurs and people must have lived together...If the Bible's right (and it is!), dinosaurs must have lived within the past thousands of years."-- creationist Ken Ham"[Bishop Ussher] added up the dates listed in Genesis and he came up with the world had been around for 6,000 years. [That] is just nonsense and I think it's time we come off of that stuff and say this isn't possible...You can't just totally deny the geological formations that are out there. Let's be real. Let's not make a joke of ourselves."-- Pat Robertson on Ham"
February 07, 2014"Right now, Jesus himself couldn't be the Speaker and get 218 Republicans behind something."
– Rep. Patrick J. Tiberi
February 06, 2014"We sent them an invoice for our musical services considering they had gone ahead and used our music without our knowledge and used it as an actual weapon against somebody."
– Skinny Puppy keyboardist cEvin Key, on billing the U.S. military $666,000 after a Gitmo guard / fan told them their music had been used to torture detainees
February 04, 2014"The company used such an iconic song, one often sung in churches on the 4th of July that represents the old 'E Pluribus Unum' view of how American society is integrated, to push multiculturalism down our throats."
– Breitbart's Michael Leahy, denouncing Coca-Cola's Super Bowl ad in which Americans sang "America the Beautiful" in their native languages
February 02, 2014"A speech by Barack Obama is a lot like sex. The worst there ever was is still excellent."
– political pundit Alex Castellanos on SOTU
January 31, 2014"I didn't threaten to shut down the government the last time. I don't think we should ever shut down the government."
– Sen. Ted Cruz
January 30, 2014"The world is literally about to blow up."
– Sen. Lindsey Graham
January 29, 2014"I verbally took the reporter to task and told him off, because I expect a certain level of professionalism and respect..."
– Rep. Michael Grimm, on why he told a reporter trying to ask, in a post-SOTU interview, about alleged campaign finance irregularities: "You ever do that to me again I'll throw you off this f***ing balcony...I'll break you in half. Like a boy."
January 28, 2014"I would call attention to the parallels of fascist Nazi Germany to its war on its 'one percent,' namely its Jews, to the progressive war on the American one percent, namely the 'rich.'...Kristallnacht was unthinkable in 1930; is its descendant 'progressive' radicalism unthinkable now?"
– venture capitalist Tom Perkins