Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
October 03, 2013"We're not going to be disrespected. We have to get something out of this. And I don't know what that even is."
– Republican Congressman Marlin Stutsman, on the government shutdown
October 02, 2013"A felony...A criminal act."
– Texas Gov. Rick Perry on the implementation of Obamacare
October 01, 2013"Lemmings with suicide vests."
– Rep. Devin Nunes, on fellow House Republicans
September 30, 2013"It's not working...If you want people to get health insurance, the best way for them to get health insurance is to get a job."
– Sen. Ted Cruz, two days before the exchanges open
September 27, 2013"I don't know what all the scenes are, but I've seen how this movie ends. We will end up not shutting the government down, and we will not defund Obamacare."
– Sen. John McCain
September 26, 2013"Everyone in America knows Obamacare is destroying the economy."
– Sen. Ted Cruz
September 25, 2013"We'd be hard pressed to explain why we were opposed to a bill we were in favor of."
– Sen. Mitch McConnell on Cruz filibuster
September 24, 2013"Was intended to stir public anger, to get everybody out there with their pitchforks and their hangman nooses, and all that -- sort of like what we did in the Deep South [decades ago]. And I think it was just as bad and just as wrong."
– AIG CEO Robert Benmosche, on the uproar over using bailout money for bonuses
September 23, 2013"Among those who oppose Obamacare, only 30 percent say they understand it, while 69 percent say they don't. But among those who support Obamacare, 45 percent understand it while 53 percent don't."
– from Greg Sargent analysis of recent Washington Post / ABC News poll
September 20, 2013"Does anybody remember Charlie Sheen when he was kind of going crazy... And he was going around, jumping around saying 'Winning, winning, we're winning!' Well I kind of feel like that, we are winning. And I'm not on any drugs."
– Sen. Rand Paul