Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
May 29, 2014"Your dead kids don't trump my constitutional rights."
– Joe "The Plumber" Werzelbacher, in an open letter to the parents of those killed by Elliot Rodger, referred to as "this sad and insane individual. I almost said 'Obama voter,' but I'm waiting for it to be official."
May 27, 2014"I'd rather slam my hand in a car door."
– Christine O'Donnell, on the idea of running for the U.S. Senate again
May 27, 2014"The most remarkable people of our time."
– Kanye West on his in-laws, the Kardashians
May 26, 2014"Rednecks and hippies who had thought they were natural enemies began mixing at the Armadillo without too much bloodshed. They discovered they both liked good music. Pretty soon you saw a longhair cowboy wearing hippie beads and a bronc rider's belt buckle, and you were seeing a new type of person. Being a natural leader, I saw which direction this movement was going, and threw myself in front of it."
– Willie Nelson
May 23, 2014"Given the month that she just had, I actually doubt very much whether she will run for president in 2016."
– RNC chairman Reince Priebus on HRC
May 22, 2014"Are women themselves being taught to believe they were raped?...Yes...For every legitimate, actual rape claim there may be another that was not; a girl who cried rape."
– A.J. Delgado in the National Review
May 21, 2014"I now believe global warming alarmists are unpatriotic racists knowingly misleading for their own ends."
– Wheel of Fortune host Pat Sajac
May 20, 2014"I believe I did use the 'N' word in reference to the current occupant of the White House. For this, I do not apologize -- he meets and exceeds my criteria for such."
– Wolfeboro, NH, Police Commissioner Robert Copeland, who subsequently resigned
May 18, 2014"Thirty days in the hospital? And when she reappears, she's wearing glasses that are only for people who have traumatic brain injury? We need to know what's up with that."-- Karl Rove on Hillary Clinton, last Thursday"No, no, no. Look, I'm not questioning her health. What I'm questioning is whether or not it's a done deal that she's running."-- Karl Rove on HIllary Clinton, yesterday"
May 16, 2014"These accidents are things which are always happening...I went back in British history. Some 204 people died there after a mine collapsed in 1838...in 1894, 290 people died there. Take America, with all of its technology and everything. In 1907, 361 miners. These are usual things...In 1942, 1,549 miners died in China due to a mixture of gas and coal. Can you believe it?"
– Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, on his country's worst-ever mining disaster, that killed 284 workers with 150 still missing