Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
September 28, 2011"Is a title worth it? Does a title shackle a person? Are they -- someone like me, maverick, you know, I do go rogue, and I call it like I see it, and I don't mind stirring it up...Is a title and is a campaign too shackling? Does that prohibit me from being out there, out of the box, not allowing handlers to shape me...?"
– Sarah Palin, on running for president
September 28, 2011"We have a lot of kids graduating college, can't find jobs. That's what happened in Cairo. That's what happened in Madrid. You don't want those kinds of riots here."
– NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg
September 27, 2011"All memoir is prostitution."
– Julian Assange after reading the first draft of his own autobiography, publication of which he has condemned
September 26, 2011"I think Americans just don't know sometimes which Mitt Romney they're dealing with. Is it the Mitt Romney that was on the side of against the Second Amendment before he was for the Second Amendment? Was it -- was before he was before the social programs, from the standpoint of he was standing up for Roe v. Wade before he was against Roe v. Wade? He was for Race to the Top, he's for ObamaCare, and now he's against it. I mean, we'll wait until tomorrow and -- and -- and see which Mitt Romney we're really talking to tonight."
– Rick Perry
September 23, 2011"I don't know how you would do this, but if you could take Herman Cain and mate him up with Newt Gingrich, I think you would have a couple of really interesting guys to work with."
– Rick Perry on which of his fellow-debaters he would choose for a runniing mate
September 22, 2011"By the time I feed my family, I have maybe $400,000 left over to invest."
– Rep. John Fleming, a small business owner whose children range in age from 21 to 32, on the travails of a tax increase given his net income of $600,000
September 21, 2011"In the Republican race, in this primary, I think people are still going to be coming and going because there is still time. And I'm still one of those still considering the time factor."
– Sarah Palin
September 20, 2011"I have more power than anybody other than the president, in the sense that I can get things changed, quickly. I don't have to go through the legislative process; I don't have to do any of that. I can just bring it to the people and say, 'Look, this has gotta be dealt with.'"
– Bill O'Reilly
September 19, 2011"Never hurts to rumormonger."
– Sarah Palin, in an email musing on ways to prevent Alaska Senate President Lyda Green from being re-elected"Flippin' unbelievable. Wouldn't you think they'd be afraid of being proved wrong when they rumor around the building like that?"
– Palin, in a subsequent email objecting to a (true) rumor that Bristol Palin was pregnant
September 17, 2011"She emerges, holding Trig. Once the TV cameras and still photographers have had their fill, she hands him off to an assistant, who soon puts him down on the asphalt parking lot and lets him crawl. The lot is covered with broken glass, cigarette butts, and old chewing gum, and Trig is barefoot. Eventually Piper comes along and puts him in a stroller."
– from The Rogue, by Joe McGinniss