Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
August 22, 2011"Sure, Perry has created thousands of jobs. I'm working three of them."
– joke currently circulating in Texas
August 21, 2011"My husband said, now you need to go and get a post-doctorate degree in tax law. Tax law. I hate taxes. Why should I go and do something like that? But the Lord says, 'Be submissive.' Wives, you are to be submissive to your husbands. Never had a tax course in my background, never had a desire for it, but by faith, I was going to be faithful to what I thought God was calling me to do through my husband."
– Rep. Michele Bachmann
August 20, 2011"What I support is putting all science on the table and then letting students decide. I don't think it's a good idea for government to come down on one side of one scientific issue or another, when there is reasonable doubt."
– Michele Bachmann"I figure you're smart enough to figure out which one is right."
– Rick Perry, on teaching both creationism and evolution in schools
August 19, 2011"I dunno, you need to ask him."
– Gov. Rick Perry, asked if he thinks President Obama loves his country
August 18, 2011"We are deeply concerned that Mr. Sorrentino's association with our brand could cause significant damage to our image."
– press release about Jersey Shore's "The Situation" from Abercrombie & Fitch, which recently introduced push-up bikini tops for eight-year-old girls
August 17, 2011"If this guy prints more money between now and the election, I don't know what you all would do to him in Iowa, but we would treat him pretty ugly down in Texas...Printing more money to play politics...is almost treasonous."
– Rick Perry on Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke
August 16, 2011"It takes balls to execute an innocent man."
– a Texas voter from a focus group commenting on a questionable execution approved by Gov. Rick Perry
August 14, 2011"I'm doing this because they call us criminals."
– London looter to photographer
August 12, 2011"I'm not going to eat Barack Obama's dogfood."
– Mitt Romney
August 11, 2011"[Texas Governor Rick Perry] is a charismatic figure. I think about him on stage with the other candidates and he'll stand out. He's not a wallflower. But the most interesting question for me is whether the country is ready for somebody who looks and sounds like George W. Bush on steroids."
– Dr. Richard Land, former president of the Southern Baptist Convention