Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
June 12, 2011"Richard Nixon, if he were alive today, might take bittersweet satisfaction to know that he was not the last smart president to prolong unjustifiably a senseless, unwinnable war, at great cost in human life...He would probably also feel vindicated (and envious) that all the crimes he committed against me -- which forced his resignation facing impeachment -- are now legal."
– Daniel Ellsberg
June 10, 2011"We are no longer in the Cold War. This is more like the Blizzard War -- a blizzard of challenges."
– CIA Director Leon Panetta
June 09, 2011"If you can find a good or service on the internet, then the federal government probably doesn't need to be doing it."
– Tim Pawlenty
June 08, 2011"America is absolutely awash with easily obtainable firearms. You can go down to a gun show at the local convention center and come away with a fully automatic assault rifle without a background check and, most likely, without having to show an identification card. So what are you waiting for?"
– American-born al-Qaeda spokesman Adam Gadahn, in a video
June 07, 2011"What have you seen so far today, and what are you going to take away from your visit?"
– the "gotcha question" Sarah Palin has blamed for her widely ridiculed Paul Revere account
June 06, 2011"We are only inches away from ceasing to be a free market economy."
– Mitt Romney
June 06, 2011"There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who understand Palin and those who pretend they don't."
– Rush Limbaugh
June 03, 2011"He who warned, uh, the British that they weren't going to be taking away our arms uh by ringing those bells and making sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be secure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed."
– Sarah Palin, visiting Boston's Old North Church, on Paul Revere
June 03, 2011"There is a controversy among scientists about whether evolution is a fact...hundreds and hundreds of scientists, many of them holding Nobel prizes, believe in intelligent design."
– Michele Bachmann"Forty-three Nobel Laureate scientists have endorsed our effort to repeal Louisiana's creationism law...Congresswoman Bachmann, you claim that Nobel Laureates support creationism. Show me your hand. If you want to be taken seriously by voters while you run for President, back up your claims with facts. Can you match 43 Nobel Laureates, or do you fold?"
– Baton Rouge high school student Zach Kopplin
June 02, 2011"I've never been good with numbers, but when I was on crack I could do math really, really well. I became a f***ing whiz at calculus. But I also became kind of psychotic, unfortunately."
– Courtney Love