Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
September 01, 2011"Now correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you feel ridiculously stupid everywhere in Africa, in Europe, in South America, in Jerusalem, when you would say the words 'African American'? Now how can people be one thing in one country and nowhere else in the world?"
– Glenn Beck
August 31, 2011"Abstinence works."
– Rick Perry, when asked why his state has abstinence-only sex education despite having the third-highest teen-pregnancy rate in the U.S.
August 30, 2011"[The cover of] Dick Cheney's book pictures him in the same suit, and the same shirt, and the same tie, and the same flag pin, and the exact same placement of the flag pin, standing in the exact same place where President Barack Obama announced the death of Osama bin Laden...Dick Cheney's new book pictorially makes him the guy who killed bin Laden."
– Rachel Maddow on In My Time
August 29, 2011"I don't know how much God has to do to get the attention of politicians. We've had an earthquake; we've had a hurricane. He said, 'Are you going to start listening to me here?'"
– Michele Bachmann
August 29, 2011"I don't even believe that other people believe in God."
– Penn Jillette on being a "hardcore atheist"
August 27, 2011"I don't want to get weird on this, so please take it for what it's worth...When Jesus was crucified and when he died, the curtain in the temple was rent from top to bottom...and it was extremely symbolic. Is [the earthquake-caused crack in the Washington Monument] symbolic? You judge."
– Pat Robertson
August 25, 2011"There are going to be heads exploding all over Washington."
– Dick Cheney on his forthcoming book
August 23, 2011"Things are fine in Libya."
– Saif al-Islam, son of Col. Muammar Gaddafi
August 23, 2011"The Crotch."
– Rick Perry's nickname as a Texas state legislator because he adjusted himself so much
August 22, 2011"Sure, Perry has created thousands of jobs. I'm working three of them."
– joke currently circulating in Texas