Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
February 07, 2011"When I was a child, President Ronald Reagan was the nice man who gave us jelly beans when we visited the White House. I didn't know then, but I know it now: The jelly beans were much more than a sweet treat he gave out as gifts. They represented the uniqueness and greatness of America -- each one different and special in its own way, but collectively they blended in harmony."
– Rep. Ben Quayle, on Reagan's 100th birthday
February 07, 2011"Nobody has yet explained to the American public what they know, and surely they know more than the rest of us know, who it is who will be taking the place of Mubarak. I'm not real enthused about what it is that is being done on a national level from D.C. in regards to understanding all the situation there in Egypt and in these areas that are so volatile right now."
– Sarah Palin on Obama's handling of the Egypt crisis
February 04, 2011"Un-Egyptian...The majority of the people out there now are following foreign agendas."
– Egyptian Vice President Omar Suleiman on demonstrators
February 03, 2011"I offer my apology for everything that happened yesterday because it's neither logical nor rational. What happened was wrong, a million percent wrong, whether it was deliberate or not deliberate."
– Egyptian Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq
February 01, 2011"Sounds good, because there's a lot of chaos in Cairo, and I can't wait to not get blamed for it -- at least for a month."
– Sarah Palin, on Dana Milbank calling for a media hiatus on mentioning her until March
January 30, 2011"To try to upend Paul ryan was just wrong."
– Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-UT, on Rep. Michele Bachmann's rebuttal to the State of the Union address"I have since learned that the timing of Congresswoman Bachmann's address was not simultaneous to Chairman Ryan's official response. Now understanding the true order of events, I would not have made the same comments to the media."
– Chaffetz, walking back his earlier comment
January 29, 2011"if members of Congress wish to carry a weapon in the federal District of Columbia, it should be permissible. Accordingly, we are in the process of drafting a bill that will allow members of Congress to do that."
– Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas
January 28, 2011"All I want is one chance at returning anything that happens to me."
– Rep. Don Young, R-Alaska, on why he carries a concealed firearm
January 27, 2011"I happen to feel comfortable with it and will continue to do it."
– Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-UT, on carrying a concealed firearm
January 26, 2011"After the elections, I let my guard down. Now I know I need to have [the gun] on me."
– Rep. Heath Shuler, D-NC