Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
January 29, 2011"if members of Congress wish to carry a weapon in the federal District of Columbia, it should be permissible. Accordingly, we are in the process of drafting a bill that will allow members of Congress to do that."
– Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas
January 28, 2011"All I want is one chance at returning anything that happens to me."
– Rep. Don Young, R-Alaska, on why he carries a concealed firearm
January 27, 2011"I happen to feel comfortable with it and will continue to do it."
– Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-UT, on carrying a concealed firearm
January 26, 2011"After the elections, I let my guard down. Now I know I need to have [the gun] on me."
– Rep. Heath Shuler, D-NC
January 25, 2011"You just never know if I'm packing or not packing."
– Rep. Jean Schmidt, R-Ohio, owner of a .380 ACP Bersa semiautomatic handgun, a gift from her husband
January 24, 2011"If I had a town meeting and was still in Congress, I'd invite all the Texans who have a concealed weapons license to my town meeting and I'd advertise it. Because the person who wanted to come shoot me would have to think once again about committing suicide walking into my town hall meeting."
– Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay
January 22, 2011"When I hear Chinese or Japanese, it sounds like all the same word. And I can't comprehend anybody understanding it."
– Rush Limbaugh
January 21, 2011"The Tucson shooting should remind us why we regulate marijuana."
– David Frum
January 20, 2011"Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother."
– Robert Bentley, delivering a speech in a church shortly after being sworn in as governor of Alabama
January 20, 2011"A lot still needs to be done in China in terms of human rights."
– Chinese President Hu Jintao