Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
February 07, 2014"Right now, Jesus himself couldn't be the Speaker and get 218 Republicans behind something."
– Rep. Patrick J. Tiberi
February 06, 2014"We sent them an invoice for our musical services considering they had gone ahead and used our music without our knowledge and used it as an actual weapon against somebody."
– Skinny Puppy keyboardist cEvin Key, on billing the U.S. military $666,000 after a Gitmo guard / fan told them their music had been used to torture detainees
February 04, 2014"The company used such an iconic song, one often sung in churches on the 4th of July that represents the old 'E Pluribus Unum' view of how American society is integrated, to push multiculturalism down our throats."
– Breitbart's Michael Leahy, denouncing Coca-Cola's Super Bowl ad in which Americans sang "America the Beautiful" in their native languages
February 02, 2014"A speech by Barack Obama is a lot like sex. The worst there ever was is still excellent."
– political pundit Alex Castellanos on SOTU
January 31, 2014"I didn't threaten to shut down the government the last time. I don't think we should ever shut down the government."
– Sen. Ted Cruz
January 30, 2014"The world is literally about to blow up."
– Sen. Lindsey Graham
January 29, 2014"I verbally took the reporter to task and told him off, because I expect a certain level of professionalism and respect..."
– Rep. Michael Grimm, on why he told a reporter trying to ask, in a post-SOTU interview, about alleged campaign finance irregularities: "You ever do that to me again I'll throw you off this f***ing balcony...I'll break you in half. Like a boy."
January 28, 2014"I would call attention to the parallels of fascist Nazi Germany to its war on its 'one percent,' namely its Jews, to the progressive war on the American one percent, namely the 'rich.'...Kristallnacht was unthinkable in 1930; is its descendant 'progressive' radicalism unthinkable now?"
– venture capitalist Tom Perkins
January 26, 2014"Our ties could not be deeper, and our job is to deepen them."
– NYC Mayor Bill De Blasio on the U.S. and Israel
January 24, 2014"If the Democrats want to insult the women of America by making them believe that they are helpless without Uncle Sugar coming in and providing them a prescription each month for birth control because they cannot control their libido or their reproductive system without the help of the government, then so be it."
– Mike Huckabee