Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
September 05, 2013"It takes one to know one, jackass...You don't get to judge me because you have shown no sign that you are superior to me and you are not my God."
– NYC mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner, during heated exchange with a constituent in a Brooklyn deli
September 04, 2013"Stronger than the smell."
– slogan proposed by Roxbury, NJ residents unhappy with landfill stench, riffing off the state's post-Sandy "Stronger than the storm" campaign
September 03, 2013"I think they are big liars."
– Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad, on Red Crescent officials' claim that their ambulances were not allowed to go to the aid of sarin gas victims
September 02, 2013"Hello to all of you here in the studio, watching from home, or reading my prompter at the NSA. Spoiler alert, guys -- this is the next sentence."
– Stephen Colbert
August 29, 2013"They asked a long list of Republicans to come and to a man and woman they said 'no.'"
– Julian Bond on Wednesday's ceremony marking the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
August 28, 2013"The homosexual community has put these draconian laws on the books that prohibit people from discussing this particular affliction. You can tell somebody you had a heart attack, you can tell them they've got high blood pressure, but you can't tell anybody you've got AIDS."
– Pat Robertson
August 27, 2013"If I'd had the foresight to make it one of my life's aspirations, I'd have done so. Instead it lands as dumb luck....It puts me with John Cleese, the first person to say 's***' on the BBC."
– Jonathan Lethem on supplying the first "f***" ever printed in the New York Times
August 25, 2013"Those of you in the media and politics who fed this hysteria need to look at what you helped create. Because you have unleashed a monster."
– Bob Filner, resigning as mayor of San Diego in the wake of 18 allegations of sexual harassment
August 24, 2013"In that paper of Aug. 29, 1963, The Post published two dozen stories about the march. Every one missed the importance of King's address. The words 'I have a dream' appeared in only one, a wrap-up of the day's rhetoric on Page A15 -- in the fifth paragraph."
– former managing editor Robert G. Kaiser, in an Op Ed about the WaPo blowing its coverage of the March on Washington
August 22, 2013"After I did the Vivid photo shoot a couple weeks ago, people already thought I made a porno, so it was like, 'Eh, they think I did, I might as well.'"
– Anthony Weiner sexting partner Sydney Leathers, on why she made a porn film