Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
August 29, 2011"I don't know how much God has to do to get the attention of politicians. We've had an earthquake; we've had a hurricane. He said, 'Are you going to start listening to me here?'"
– Michele Bachmann
August 29, 2011"I don't even believe that other people believe in God."
– Penn Jillette on being a "hardcore atheist"
August 27, 2011"I don't want to get weird on this, so please take it for what it's worth...When Jesus was crucified and when he died, the curtain in the temple was rent from top to bottom...and it was extremely symbolic. Is [the earthquake-caused crack in the Washington Monument] symbolic? You judge."
– Pat Robertson
August 25, 2011"There are going to be heads exploding all over Washington."
– Dick Cheney on his forthcoming book
August 23, 2011"Things are fine in Libya."
– Saif al-Islam, son of Col. Muammar Gaddafi
August 23, 2011"The Crotch."
– Rick Perry's nickname as a Texas state legislator because he adjusted himself so much
August 22, 2011"Sure, Perry has created thousands of jobs. I'm working three of them."
– joke currently circulating in Texas
August 21, 2011"My husband said, now you need to go and get a post-doctorate degree in tax law. Tax law. I hate taxes. Why should I go and do something like that? But the Lord says, 'Be submissive.' Wives, you are to be submissive to your husbands. Never had a tax course in my background, never had a desire for it, but by faith, I was going to be faithful to what I thought God was calling me to do through my husband."
– Rep. Michele Bachmann
August 20, 2011"What I support is putting all science on the table and then letting students decide. I don't think it's a good idea for government to come down on one side of one scientific issue or another, when there is reasonable doubt."
– Michele Bachmann"I figure you're smart enough to figure out which one is right."
– Rick Perry, on teaching both creationism and evolution in schools
August 19, 2011"I dunno, you need to ask him."
– Gov. Rick Perry, asked if he thinks President Obama loves his country