Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
August 18, 2011"We are deeply concerned that Mr. Sorrentino's association with our brand could cause significant damage to our image."
– press release about Jersey Shore's "The Situation" from Abercrombie & Fitch, which recently introduced push-up bikini tops for eight-year-old girls
August 17, 2011"If this guy prints more money between now and the election, I don't know what you all would do to him in Iowa, but we would treat him pretty ugly down in Texas...Printing more money to play politics...is almost treasonous."
– Rick Perry on Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke
August 16, 2011"It takes balls to execute an innocent man."
– a Texas voter from a focus group commenting on a questionable execution approved by Gov. Rick Perry
August 14, 2011"I'm doing this because they call us criminals."
– London looter to photographer
August 12, 2011"I'm not going to eat Barack Obama's dogfood."
– Mitt Romney
August 11, 2011"[Texas Governor Rick Perry] is a charismatic figure. I think about him on stage with the other candidates and he'll stand out. He's not a wallflower. But the most interesting question for me is whether the country is ready for somebody who looks and sounds like George W. Bush on steroids."
– Dr. Richard Land, former president of the Southern Baptist Convention
August 10, 2011"I walk through the hotel and I walk down the street, and people look at me like I'm f**king insane, like I'm Hitler. One day the light will shine through and one day people will understand everything I ever did."
– Kanye West
August 09, 2011"Hard to follow sometimes."
– Fox News host Gretchen Carlson on Spongebob Squarepants
August 07, 2011"We're on the fringe right now. We can barely defend ourselves."
– Rep. Bobby Schilling, member of the Armed Services Committee, on the U.S. military
August 04, 2011"If you want a bad job, go to Texas. If you want to work at Carl's Jr., our doors are open, and if you want to go to a crumbling school in a failing system, this is the place to come."
– Texas Rep. Garnet Coleman