Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
January 03, 2014"I've been the best mayor that this city's ever had. My record speaks for itself."
– Toronto mayor Rob Ford, seeking re-election
January 02, 2014"God created humans pretty much in their present form at one time in the last 10,000 years or so."
– assertion agreed with by 46% of Americans, according to a recent Gallup poll
December 31, 2013"I don't know. It's a question I've never even thought about."
– abortion foe Ohio state Sen. Jim Buchy, asked by a reporter, "What do you think makes a woman want to have an abortion?"
December 30, 2013"I think it was absolutely a mistake for President Obama and Harry Reid to force a government shutdown."
– Sen. Ted Cruz
December 26, 2013"With regard to the picture, 'It's a Wonderful Life,' xxxx stated in substance that the film represented a rather obvious attempt to discredit bankers by casting Lionel Barrymore as a 'Scrooge-type' so that he would be the most hated man in the picture. This, according to these sources, is a common trick used by Communists."
– from 1947 FBI report, "Communist Infiltration of the Motion Picture Industry"
December 24, 2013"The right to celebrate Christmas is under attack."
– Fox Nation
December 23, 2013"In December 1955, Rosa Parks took a stand against an unjust societal persecution of black people, and in December 2013, [Duck Dynasty star Phil] Robertson took a stand against persecution of Christians. What Parks did was courageous. What Mr. Robertson did was courageous too."
– Illinois congressional candidate Ian Bayne
December 20, 2013"We're going to be the Miley Cyrus of nations next year. Unstoppable, but kind of embarrassing."
– David Brooks
December 18, 2013"Socialism makes me sick."
– slogan on the "Official Obama Barf Bag" offered by Rep. Steve Stockman, fundraising for his Senate campaign
December 16, 2013"Justice Roberts' pen and Obamacare have done more damage to the USA than the swords of the Nazis, Soviets and terrorists combined."
– NC state Sen. Rob Rucho, sponsor of a bill to prevent his state from setting up a health insurance exchange or participating in Medicaid expansion