Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
March 26, 2014"I grew up castrating hogs on an Iowa farm. So when I get to Washington, I'll know how to cut pork."
– Joni Ernst, in U.S. Senate campaign ad
March 25, 2014"I have felt that my own communications are probably monitored. And when I want to communicate with a foreign leader privately, I type or write the letter myself, put it in the post office and mail it, because I believe if I send an email, it will be monitored."
– former president Jimmy Carter
March 24, 2014"I know it's preposterous, but is it preposterous?"
– CNN's Don Lemon, asking Mary Schiavo, former inspedtor general of the Department of Transportation, if Flight 370 could have been sucked into a black hole
March 21, 2014"The Holocaust is an event whose reality remains uncertain and, if it happened, it's uncertain how it happened."
– Ali Khamenei, Iran's Supreme Leader
March 20, 2014"It took us 2,000 years to find Noah's Ark. Do we ever find Flight 370?"
– Fox News' Bill Hemmer
March 19, 2014"I hope it's not working. Because if you go back to 1933, with different words, this is what Hitler was saying in Germany. You don't survive as a society if you encourage and thrive on envy or jealousy."
– billionaire Home Depot co-founder Ken Langone, on populist appeals critical of increasing wealth disparity
March 18, 2014"We have got this tailspin of culture, in our inner cities in particular, of men not working and just generations of men not even thinking about working or learning to value the culture of work, so there is a real culture problem here that has to be dealt with."
– Rep. Paul Ryan
March 15, 2014"The hard left, human-hating people that run modern universities...should all be taken out and shot."
– Austin Ruse of the Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute
March 14, 2014"Very much like Nazi Germany...We now live in a society where people are afraid to say what they actually believe."
– Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient and Fox News contributor Dr. Ben Carson, on America
March 13, 2014"I think the thing that is getting a little tiresome -- the gay community, they have so bullied the American people, and they've so intimidated politicians. The politicians fear them, so that they think they get to dictate the agenda everywhere."
– Rep. Michele Bachmann