Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
January 03, 2011"One of the most corrupt presidents in modern times."
– incoming House Oversight and Government Reform Committee chairman Darrell Issa on Obama, later explaining that he meant to say "one of the most corrupt administrations in modern times"
January 01, 2011"The Chinese are kicking our butts in everything. If this was China, do you think the Chinese would have called off the game? People would have been marching down to the stadium, they would have walked and they would have been doing calculus on the way down."
– PA governor Ed Rendell, on postponement of Eagles game due to blizzard
December 30, 2010"I'm a Christian, I've made mistakes myself, I believe fervently in second chances. But Michael Vick killed dogs, and he did in a heartless and cruel way. And I think, personally, he should've been executed for that."
– Tucker Carlson
December 29, 2010"Computers are going to keep getting smaller and smaller. Ultimately, they will go inside our bodies and brains and make us healthier, make us smarter. We'll be online all the time. Search engines won't wait to be asked."
– Ray Kurzweil, on the future
December 28, 2010"Conservationists write me these nasty letters...using their pretty little pencils on their pretty little stationery not realizing. Where do you think your pencil and your piece of paper came from, people? It came from a tree that was harvested."
– Sarah Palin
December 27, 2010"We're becoming a nation of wussies...This was in no way, shape or form a blizzard!"
– PA governor Ed Rendell on postponement of Eagles-Vikings game
December 24, 2010"Brutal consequences beyond imagination."
– North Korean threat over planned South Korean military exercise"Not worth reacting."
– North Korean response following the exercise
December 23, 2010"I was in the right wing...and I know what they're doing now. It's a phony wedge cultural war issue. They exploit gay people and they exploit the fear of gay people to gin up their base...It's a totally cynical thing. Half of them don't even believe it...So that's what's going on here."
– David Brock, Media Matters CEO and formerly closeted gay Republican
December 21, 2010"The armies of other nations...could allow homosexuals to serve in their military because we didn't allow them to serve in ours...We will no longer able to bail out these other emasculated armies because ours will now be feminized and neutered beyond repair, and there is no one left to bail us out."
– American Family Association's Bryan Fischer
December 19, 2010"The one thing I've never been accused of is not being straight. We are making progress. Are we making sufficient progress fast enough? The answer remains to be seen."
– Joe Biden, on Afghanistan