A clean, well-lit place to vent
Please feel free to contribute to this frequently-updated forum, which posts selected commentary on our favorite comic strip. If you’d like your critique to be posted, please note that civility, if not approbation, counts. Click here to submit a comment.
I love how the 10, 20, and 25-years-ago strips on today's Flashbacks page offer a B.D. retrospective. Semi-loquacious to laconic. Before/after helmetectomy. Crass to insightful. Thanks.
I wonder why we got a Classic yesterday instead of a new Sunday comic...
Even while writing the political sitcom "Alpha House" GBT occasionally needs a vacation. (Filming on Season Two of the show wrapped recently, and all ten episodes will be released on October 24th.) When such vacations occur (as was the case this past Sunday, and will be again next Sunday) the syndicate sends out a fairlly-recently-published "Flashback" strip -- as it has for decades. To clarify, the daily "Classic" series, is an ongoing tour through Doonesbury's past, featuring four weeks of daily strips from each year of the strip's run. The series began in March with the first strips, from 1970, and as of today we are up to 1978.
GBT is a half-generation older than me, but close enough to really bring me back. Arafat was not merely a bad dresser -- a detail which escaped me when, as a 15-yr-old in current affairs class, I read in Time that he had addressed the UN General Assembly wearing an empty holster.
"To do is to be."
"To be is to do."
"Do be do be do."
Boopsie draws the line on swatches of Elvis' sweat-stained stage scarves. Glad to see our gal has standards. Wonder what Tom Jones did with all of his sweaty stage "souvenirs"?
Time shift disorientation! The seeming random synchronicities among the Flashbacks page and current Classics -- Joanie, Lacey and George all currently making double appearances, from then and later (or before!) -- are making me dizzy. Loving it!
Part of what makes Doonesbury so fun is that GBT eschews subtlety for his objects-of-satire. Even so, he mostly seems to avoid playing the scold – except when it comes to tobacco. There he mostly pillories tobacco’s attempts to lure kids, so perhaps to scold is suitable. But tobacco scolds largely trot out the “addiction model” of tobacco use. Tobacco is likely the most addictive commonly-available pleasure drug – 30% of all who smoke become addicted. This leaves the remaining 70%, who can “take it or leave it” and smoke simply because they like it.
Seeing joanie graduate the first time was especially moving. Seeing it again should remind us just how far we've come. You go girl...again.
I'm a longtime reader, and I wonder why we never see any pets.
Whoa! Today's 35 year Flashback strip is a real grabber. Joanie, Jr.? I wonder where she came from, and where she went? I missed some of the early years of Doonesbury, but in hundreds and hundreds of strips I don't think I've seen this person before!
What we have here is merely a failure to recognize. The young lady dropping in on Joanie and Rick is none other than J.J. -- now Mike's ex-wife, and Alex's mom. A successful artist and the recipient of a MacArthur "Genius" Fellowship, J.J. lives in Seattle with her husband Zeke. You can read her bio here.
I must have missed something, as I thought that Roland was a married man. But he's never short to join the latest trend -- like adultery, for instance. Of course I'd fully understand if his wife left him. He's Roland after all.
Why am I only seeing strips from the 70s in my local paper, the San Jose Mercury News?
GBT has put the daily strip on hiatus in order to write the second season of his Amazon Studios political sitcom Alpha House, while continuing to create new Sunday strips. On March 3rd Doonesbury began a retrospective journey through the strip's history with the very first strip, originally published on October 26, 1970. Since then we have been moving forward at the rate of four weeks of strips from each year of Doonesbury's run, and as of today are up to 1977. A few papers have opted not to run these Classic dailies, but most are on board and readers seem to be enjoying the ride. GBT discusses the project on PBS Newshour here, and you can view the first episodes for free here.